12.09.2012

Sunrise in New Orleans


Sunrise in New Orleans
I’m hungry but not without pity
For more than just the birds
That sound like bats in their vaginal
V-shape formation
I sing songs, too, but they sound
Less like laments and more like
Leaves
Leaving homes and hellos
And sacred hallow coastal cities of dreams
I miss a face
So nearly betrayed by these
Wild ways we live
She paints
I write
And like chimneys in a storm
We weather the beating winds
Of long-distance love and
Remembered laughter
We languish, still, in the moonset
Of another day in our separate ways
Basking silently in the sun soon to come
Again

Quiet streets in the ghost town are
Punctuated seldomly by lost headlights
This mist rises
Into the dawning heat
The rays of an old friend often forgotten
In my introverted calendar cycle
Leaning toward inspiration
I have a family, too
And they are not far from here
The moon is blotted out by clouds
And the sun begins his round

I worked for two hours in a café
With ungloved unclean hands
Swatting cockroaches away from
Cheese and shrimp grits
She forgot to salt them
But they will be served anyway
During this southern sunrise scoped through
Maze of telephone wires and poles that
Blend with the trees
Spanish Moss hanging good morning
On lonely branches
I think it would be nice to have skill enough
To sketch so in-motion a subject as
The travelling impressionist clouds
My stomach is aching
I should eat
Or sleep
Again

No comments:

Post a Comment