Now, I don't do this for every novel; most of the characters are painted in my imagination by the author. But, for instance, if it is a novel of which I have seen a film adaptation beforehand, I have many times used the actors from said film - such as with the Harry Potter series, and the Twilight Saga, Bram Stoker's Dracula, His Dark Materials, Solaris, The Lord of the Rings, etc.
Typically, when not based on a film, the novels in which this substitution of actors occurs are epic ones, the sprawling generational story in which characters appear repeatedly, usually what is now considered one of "the classics." I've only just started writing these down, as I think they are fascinating on many levels.
First, I wonder if this is some sort of accidental development in the human imagination due to over-saturation of television and films in the last couple generations. I honestly doubt anyone was doing this in the Elizabethan era - substituting their favorite stage actors for every novel they read - and am not entirely sure that I have any company at all, even today, in this regard.
Secondly, it is a tradition of mine, if I have managed to avoid it during reading, to watch a/the film adaptation of these novels immediately upon finishing them. As you can imagine, it is often very dismal work. Coming right out of these amazing worlds, replete with stunning linguistic description and in-depth character analysis, it is quite depressing to see the scrambling together a bunch of actors who seem to have not even read the source material, sit through a screen-writer's "costume drama/period piece" script who has clearly misunderstood the text, and/or to see the plot slaughtered and the entire story edited in fettering it to one specific genre. Therefore, my casting is useful also in simply saying, "These are the actors who should play your characters, if the novel was free of its time constraints and selfish, narrow-minded financial backers. Here is your perfect cast."
So, without further ado (this has become much longer than I anticipated), I offer the first of many to come: the dramatis personae of Thomas Hardy's, The Mayor of Casterbridge and Charlotte Bronte's, Jane Eyre.
The Mayor of Casterbridge
Michael Henchard – Hugh Jackman
Elizabeth-Jane – Unknown British actress
Donald Farfrae – Johnny Depp
Susan Henchard – Nicole Kidman
Lucetta – Marion Cotillard
Richard Newson – David Thewlis
Grower, the Banker – Robert Hardy
The Doctor – Jim Broadbent
JANE EYRE
Mrs. Reed: Imagination
Mr. Brocklehurst: David Warner
Miss Temple: Maggie Smith
Jane Eyre: Claire Danes / Imagination
Edward Fairfax Rochester: Michael Fassbender / Imagination
Mrs. Fairfax: Kerry Walker
Blanche Ingram: Angelina Jolie
Eliza Reed: Uma Thurman
Georgiana Reed: Kirsten Dunst
Mr. Mason: Imagination
Mr. Briggs: Alan Rickman (Greatest bit part and cameo ever)
Bertha Antoinetta Mason: Imagination / Traditional vampire (in my reading, she really was a vampire)
St. John Rivers: Robert Pattinson
Rosamond Oliver: Natalie Portman
No comments:
Post a Comment